What we do
The Liverpool Centre for Sexual Health (formerly known as the Department of Genitourinary Medicine and Sexual Health) is a large and friendly department, committed to providing a high quality service to people worried about issues affecting their sexual health.
The centre specialises in the management and care of people who may be worried about issues affecting their sexual health. Because of the department’s experience, staff understand the concerns and anxieties patients may have about visiting a clinic. Staff are supportive and understanding and always treat people with the dignity and respect that they deserve.
This is a Consultant run service offering:
- Sexual health advice and information
- Clinical examination and treatment for sexually transmitted infections
- Rapid laboratory diagnosis
- HIV testing
- Care and management of patients with HIV infection
- Contraception including pills, implants, coils (IUD's), emergency contraception, pregnancy testing and condoms.
Specialist services include:
- Vulval clinic
- Outreach service run by nurses for young people at Liverpool Brook (Tuesdays and Thursdays)
- HIV clinics.
All the department’s health advisors are qualified nurses and will have more time to talk to patients about their concerns. Their role involves working with individuals and groups affected by issues related to sexual health in general and sexually transmitted infections (including HIV) in particular.