Area of Clinical Practice
General Nephrology, Renal Transplantation, Hypertension, Nephrotoxicity.
General Nephrology, Renal Transplantation, Hyperte
Consultant Nephrologist and Physician, Royal Liverpool University Hospital N.H.S. Trust, 1988 – current.
Clinics and ward rounds in General Nephrology, Renal Transplantation and CAPD
• MBChB (Edin) 1976.
• Medical training – Edinburgh Renal Units, Nuffield Renal Transplant Unit and Royal Infirmary, 1976-86.
• Cornell University Medical College, New York, 1986-87 (Assistant Professor of Medicine).
• FRCP (E) 1992.
• FRCP (L) 1993.
Clinical Director of Nephrology, Royal Liverpool University Hospital, 2002 - ,
Lead Nephrologist Cheshire & Mersey S.H.A 2002 – 2009.
• Facilitated 6% average growth in dialysis numbers yearly since 2000, now one of the largest renal units in the United Kingdom.
• Used audit and developed the role of Nurse Practitioners and patient pathways to drive major improvements in anaemia management and vascular access provision.
• Successfully petitioned and planned for nephrology expansion across Merseyside and Cheshire with new consultant led developments at the Royal Liverpool 2002, Broadgreen 2003, Aintree 2003, Whiston 2006 and Warrington 2010.
• Over the last 5 years on average in top quartile in the United Kingdom Renal Registry for dialysis take-on rate with excellent dialysis and transplant survival rates. Recruited nurse practitioners in anaemia management, vascular access, home haemodialysis, community care management of CKD, pre-dialysis care.
• From local modelling developed SHA expansion plan for dialysis services 2005-2015 and represent the North West in the DH Nephrology ISTC Development Planning Group (2005-2009) with new dialysis units in hospitals in Halton 2009, St Helens 2010 and Warrington 2010.
Member of the RCP/RA Working Party on ‘Changing face of Renal Medicine in the U.K.’ since 2005-2007.
• Important joint RCP/RA Committee to report in 2006 on probable future developments in nephrology practice and training over the next ten years. Published March 2007.
• Member Executive UK Renal Association 2006 – 2010 and Member Executive Committee UK Renal Registry 2007- 2011.
• North West representative on Renal Association Renal Services Committee (2002 – 2011).
RCP Regional Adviser, Merseyside and Cheshire 1999-2004.
• Advised colleagues and managers on professional matters e.g. work schedules and provision of resources.
• Worked with Postgraduate Dean on general professional and higher specialist training.
• Chaired the local Medicine Committee.
• Liaised with Regional Speciality Advisers and College Tutors.
• Coordinated Regional RCP Educational activities e.g. teach-ins, MRCP teaching, the Mersey Physicians as Educators Programme and local bi-annual RCP Conferences in Merseyside and Cheshire 1999-2004. Previous role Regional Speciality Adviser in Nephrology 1995-2000.
• More than 80 peer reviewed publications in International journals (nephrotoxicity, substance abuse and the kidney, Neurogenic hypertension). Acknowledged international expert on Environmental and Occupational Nephrotoxicity.
• Chapters in ‘Oxford Textbook of Clinical Nephrology’ 2005, ‘Hunter’s Textbook of Occupational Diseases’ 2000 and 2010, ‘Hypertension’, 1990 and 1995.
• Vice-Chairman of Mersey Kidney Research (2001-2007).
• Chairman of Mersey Kidney Research, 2007-current.
• Teaching. Examiner at University of Liverpool, 1989 to present. MRCP U.K. Examiner since 1995.
• Since 1990 have been supervisor of several MDs and one MSc.
• Chairman of the Research Ethics Committee of Royal Liverpool University Hospital and associated hospitals, 1990-6.