What we do
The Respiratory Unit at the Royal Liverpool University & Broadgreen University Hospital comprises of two wards and an enhanced care unit all located on the sixth floor. The department in liaison with the cardio-respiratory and radiology departments provides a very wide range of diagnostic tests and treatments for all types of chest and lung disorders.
The NIV unit
- includes wards 6X, 6Y (49 beds in total) and a 4 bedded enhanced care area for patients requiring a higher level of care.
- provides high quality care for patients with respiratory failure and a large number of long term respiratory conditions
- specialises in chronic disease management as well as acute treatment - e.g. asthma, bronchiectasis, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) and lung cancer.
- prides itself on having close working relations with colleagues within the ITU and palliative care departments. A number of our consultants also work in Liverpool Heart and Chest Hospital.
- provides a rapid access Non-Invasive Positive Pressure Ventilation Service (NIV) for patients with respiratory acidosis, in a dedicated unit opened in 2010. This unit was specifically designed to ensure patients are observed at all times by highly skilled nursing staff.