Easy Read Information
Oncology is the study of cancer. Acute Oncology is the study and treatment of serious cancer.
This page gives you information about our Acute Oncology team and the treatment you might get.
Who we are
Being diagnosed with cancer is difficult, but not knowing where the cancer has started, finding out that a previous cancer has returned, or having severe side effects from cancer treatments can be very difficult and traumatic for both the patient and family.
What we do
Acute Oncology is a national initiative influenced by guidelines created by the National Chemotherapy Advisory Group (NCAG) to improve the care received by those patients who have:
- Cancer of unknown primary (diagnosed cancer but unable to detect where it originated)
- Side effects from chemotherapy treatments
- Metastatic disease from a known primary cancer (previous cancer which has now spread)
- Advice and support to medical and nursing staff
- Advice and support for patients
- Prompt resolution of problems caused by cancer treatment
- Reduction in the amount of unnecessary procedures undertake
- Reduction in the length of stay in hospital
- Appropriate and prompt referrals to other specialties as required
- Appropriate and prompt referrals to other trusts as required
Being referred to us
Referrals from healthcare professionals
Referrals are to come in via the ICE system and will be acted upon within 24 hours (urgent cases sooner if required). Referrals from Fridays or weekends will be acted upon the next working day (Monday, or Tuesday if bank holiday).
The Acute Oncology team is very experienced and will be able to advise and support patients and staff in any care that is required. The Acute Oncology team consists of:
- Medical oncologists
- Acute oncology clinical nurse specialists
The team have close links with the Palliative Care team and The Clatterbridge Cancer Centre to provide the best support and care to these patients.
Hours of service
The team can be contacted Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm, except for bank holidays where they can be contacted the next working day.
How to contact us
- Judith Carser - Medical Oncologist
- Susan O'Reilly - Medical Oncologist
- David Smith - Medical Oncologist
- Michael Varey - Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Diane Wong - Administrator
Guidelines and other information
Cheshire and Merseyside Strategic Clinical Network have information cancer guidelines, peer review and meeting minutes here.