Easy Read Information
Information on the ocular oncology department at St Paul’s Eye Unit at the Royal Liverpool University Hospital.
The Liverpool Ocular Oncology Centre (LOOC) specialises in the diagnosis and treatment of adult ocular (eye) tumours.
We’re based in the Clinical Eye Research Centre on the ground floor of the Royal Liverpool University Hospital. Once inside the main entrance go left, past the main reception, and follow the signs.
If you’ve been referred to an oncology centre, it does not mean that you have a dangerous condition. Most patients we see have a benign tumour, such as a cyst, haemorrhage or naevus (a mole). The tools and skills required to diagnose and treat these conditions are similar to those needed for more serious diseases.
Your diagnosis and treatment
We use a range of techniques to help diagnose and monitor your condition, including scanning and imaging facilities, biopsies and cytogenetic studies.
There is a wide range of treatment options available for both benign and malignant tumours, and if necessary we combine different methods to achieve the best possible results. Treatments include:
- Proton beam radiotherapy using special equipment at Clatterbridge Centre for Oncology on the Wirral
- Plaque radiotherapy: placing a saucer-shaped applicator behind the eye for up to seven days
- Trans-pupillary thermotherapy: sterilising the tumour with an infra-red laser
- Photodynamic therapy: injecting a light sensitiser into a vein in the arm and then shining a low-energy laser onto the back of the eye to activate the sensitiser as it passes through the tumour
- Several different surgical techniques
Understanding your condition
We have several methods to help our patients understand their condition and treatment, including:
- Printed guides and information leaflets
- An audio recording of your first consultation so you can listen again at home
- Sending you a copy of the correspondence we send to your GP and ophthalmologist
- A patients’ website
- A specialist helpline run by our nurses (answerphone outside working hours) - 0151 706 3976