Easy Read Information
Bereavement is when someone who is close to you has died.
This page gives you information about:
- How we can help if someone has died at the Royal Liverpool Hospital
- The staff who can help you
- How to contact us
Access is gained from the entrance at the top of Prescot Street near Sacred Heart Church. There is a designated parking area directly outside the building for Mortuary and Bereavement Office visitors.
The Bereavement Services produces an information booklet which is designed to be of practical help to the recently bereaved. It includes information on registering a death, arranging a funeral and about people and organisations who can help you at this difficult time.
The Bereavement suite is where you will be provided with sympathetic support and assistance through the procedures following the death of a patient in hospital. We have private relatives rooms with a nice calming atmosphere where you can have a chat with us or visit the deceased if required.
The bereavement team provide help and emotional support for bereaved people in the following areas:
- Arranging completion of all documentation, including medical certificates
- Arranging cremation papers and collecting fees on behalf of medical staff
- Advice and information regarding funeral arrangements
- Emotional support to family, friends and extended relatives
- Liaising with hospital medical staff and mortuary
- Liaising with the Coroners staff, police, social workers and General Practitioners
- Providing advice regarding help from the Social Fund
- Explaining probate and legalities following death
- Tracing next of kin where no next of kin is recorded in the medical records
- Arranging a funeral where no next of kin has been found
- Seeking consent for hospital post mortem, tissue donation or other projects at the request of medical staff
- Providing training and information on bereavement related issues to other staff members.
- Bereavement support is available from the time of death up until the next of kin decide they no longer require that support.
The office is open 5 days a week and closed on weekends and banks holidays.
Our opening hours are:
Monday to Thursday: 9:00am - 12:00pm; 1:00pm - 4:30pm
Friday: 9:00am - 12:00pm; 1:00pm - 4:00pm
Telephone: 0151 706 3805 (answerphone available)
Fax: 0151 706 5903
Royal Liverpool Hospital
Liverpool L7 8XP
We apologise if you connect to our anwerphone, as our phone line can be very busy at times. It is essential that you leave a contact name, number and who your enquiry is regarding. Please be assured we will respond to your message as soon as we are available to do so.
The Bereavement Services Team consists of a small group of staff who have chosen to dedicate their careers to the provision of high quality care for the deceased and the bereaved.
In 2009 the Bereavement Services Team received the Trust's, Team of the Year Quality Award for the continuous provision of a high quality service.
We are here to help you in whatever way we can, so please feel free to get in touch with us.
- Barbara Peters – Mortuary & Bereavement Services Manager
- Jane Perry – Lead/Senior Anatomical Pathology Technologist
- Barry Wong - Anatomical Pathology Technologist
- Gary Hunter - Anatomical Pathology Technologist
- Lynsey Crichton - Anatomical Pathology Technologist
- Tobias Orbine - Anatomical Pathology Technologist
- David Lindale – Bereavement Officer
- Linda Milward – Dispatch/Bereavement Officer