Easy Read Information
A Coroner is responsible for finding out how and why someone has died. If it is complicated there may be a court case.
This page tells you how to get in touch with the coroner.
Coroners are usually lawyers, but in some cases they may be doctors, or even both. They are independent judicial officers - this means that no-one can tell them or direct them as to what they should do, but they must follow the laws and regulations which apply.
The Coroner enquires into those deaths reported to them. It is their duty to find out the medical cause of death, if it is known, and to enquire about the cause of death if it was due to violence or was otherwise unnatural.
Not all deaths are reported to the coroner. In most cases the doctor who had been treating the deceased is able to give a cause of death. Deaths are reported to the Coroner by the police or by the doctor who had been treating the deceased. The death will be reported to the Coroner if it resulted from or occured in any of these circumstances:
- The death was violent or unnatural or occurred under suspicious circumstances.
- The cause of death is unknown or uncertain.
- The deceased was not attented by a doctor during their last illness.
- The doctor treating the deceased had not seen them 14 days before their death.
- The death was caused by an industrial disease/accident.
- The death occured whilst the patient was undergoing an operation or did not recover from the anaesthetic.
- The death occurred within 24 hours of admission to hospital.
- If the deceased had suffered a recent fall.
- The death was the result of a road traffic accident.
Contact details for H. M. Coroner for Liverpool and Wirral
Her Majesty's Senior Coroner for the Liverpool and Wirral Coroner Area is André Rebello B.Sc. (Hons.) Solicitor. The Area Coroner is Ms Anita Bhardwaj B.A. (Hons) Solicitor. They both investigates sudden deaths reported by the police and answer questions from members of the public about inquests.
H M Coroner for Liverpool & Wirral
Gerard Majella Courthouse
Liverpool, L5 2QD
Tel: 0151 233 5770
Fax: 0151 207 4522
André Rebello B.Sc. (Hons.) Solicitor