Easy Read Information
Podiatry is the study of the foot and ankle.
This page is about:
- The services that we give to patients with a problem with their foot and ankle
- How to contact us
The Podiatry and Orthotic Service is provided at the Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen sites both on the wards and Outpatient clinics.
The Podiatry Team
The team provides specialist clinics for high risk patients primarily with foot ulcers for MDT treatment and management in the Diabetes Centre at the Royal Liverpool Hospital. We also provides diabetic education talks to both patients and hospital staff. Some other services we provide are:
- Assess and triage foot and ankle problems as part of the Musculoskeletal Clinical Assessment Service (MCAS).
- Treats patients within the Therapies Department on both hospital sites by podiatrists specialising in long term conditions.
- Provides Specialist services for older people at Broadgreen Hospital.
- Provides minor surgical procedures under local anesthesia to in-growing and dystrophic nails for high risk patients.
The Orthotic Team:
The team assesses patients for appropriate orthoses and provides specialist skills to measure and fit a variety of orthoses. We also manufacture simple and bespoke insoles.
In house Orthotists work across the two hospital sites in clinic independently or as part of MDT and are supported by Admin/Clerical officers. The department has recently set up an in house orthotic workshop to manufacture insoles.
The hospital based service works closely with the PCT service to provide a seamless provision across the Health Care Community which follow an agreed care pathway protocols to provide evidence based treatment.
Podiatry and Orthotic Service Availability:
Monday - Friday 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Telephone 0151 706 2760
Being referred to us
All referrals are received from Consultants and GP direct access following MCAS triage, to provide a wide range of appliances.