In this section

When to use A&E

Easy Read Information

Information on when you should go to the Accident and Emergency department (A&E) and what other services are available.

When to use A&E

Emergency services are available in the A&E (Accident & Emergency) departments of local hospitals, these are sometimes known as emergency or casualty departments. If you need an emergency response vehicle, like an ambulance, you should dial 999.

Emergency services deal with genuine life-threatening emergencies such as:

If it’s not life-threatening, but you need medical help fast dial 111, the free NHS helpline, instead.

Local A&E departments for adults

Local A&E departments for children