Easy Read Information
This page gives you information about the future plans for buildings and grounds at the new Royal Hospital in Liverpool.
How the site will be developed
Once the new Royal opens and the current hospital is demolished (this will take a bit of time), then there are plans to develop the site.
These plans include:
- Landscaping the grounds – there will be green space around the size of Chavasse Park near Liverpool ONE
- An underground car park so patients and visitors will be able to park and walk into the hospital without having to go outside
The Liverpool Health Campus
- The Campus will transform the gateway to the city of Liverpool, spearheading the regeneration of this area of Liverpool into a bustling, cosmopolitan Knowledge Quarter.
- The Campus can provide 100,000 square metres of space devoted to life sciences. This will provide development space for companies involved in research, pharmaceutical and biomedical industries.
- The Campus will capitalise on its location with a unique concentration of health, academic and industry life science assets; the famous Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine (extensively supported by Bill Gates), the National Zoonoses Centre, Medical School, Dental School, centre for drug safety science, Wolfson Centre for Personalised Medicine, pharmaceutical and biomedical industry
- The Campus could create circa 5,000 high tech, high value jobs, fed by the UK’s first University Technical College in Life Sciences, ensuring opportunities for local young people
- The Campus will put Liverpool and the UK on the world’s scientific stage in a key global industry. We will be competing with established international centres like Boston and Singapore to attract the world’s best clinicians, researchers and entrepreneurs
We will be providing lots of information to patients and visitors before we move into the new Royal. This will include details of when services are moving, details about car parking and general information about the new hospital.
We will be using lots of different methods of communicating this information, including this website, our social media channels, the media and with leaflets and posters. We are also looking at a hospital app for smart-phones.
Clatterbridge Cancer Centre
Work has now begun on the new Clatterbridge Cancer Centre. This is being built next door to the new Royal. This is a fantastic opportunity to improve and expand cancer care.
The new Clatterbridge Cancer Centre will provide inpatient beds and complex / highly-specialist care for cancer patients in Merseyside and Cheshire, as well as outpatient and day-case services for people in Liverpool.
It will be in addition to The Clatterbridge Cancer Centre in Wirral and its radiotherapy unit in Aintree. People who live nearer to the Wirral site will still be able to have the vast majority of their outpatient and day-case care there, close to home.
The Clatterbridge Cancer Centre is expected to be open in 2020.
Building the New Royal - A timelapse
You can email the project team here or by calling 0151 706 5769