Easy Read Information
This page gives you more information about the new Royal Hospital Building in Liverpool.
About the new Royal
The new Royal Liverpool University Hospital is being built next door to the current Royal. Work started on the new hospital in 2014. It officially ‘topped out’ (building work reached the highest level) just before Christmas 2015.
When it opens it will have:
- 646 single inpatient bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms, with 23 wards
- Most inpatient bedrooms will have outside views, some with stunning views of Liverpool
- One of the biggest emergency departments in north-west England with its own lifts to operating theatres
- An attractive, welcoming layout
- Lots of natural light, colour and artwork
- 18 state-of-the-art operating theatres
- A 40-bed intensive care unit
- A clinical research facility
Single bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms will be provided for all inpatients. Single bedrooms provide more privacy and dignity for patients. They will be less noisy and will help patients rest and recover faster. They will also help improve the control of infections. There will be nurse bases along the wards (rather than just one nurse’s station), which will allow nurses to monitor patients. The nurse call system will allow patients to talk to staff and Vice versa as well as call for assistance .
Each ward will have a patient sitting room and a multi-function MDT meeting room.
There will be 17 general wards, each with 28 bedrooms.
Each ward will have:
- A clean utility room
- Two dirty utilities room
- A pantry
- A cleaners’ room
- A ward manager’s office
- A multi-disciplinary team room
- A patients’ sitting room
- an equipment store
- Two linen rooms
- A consumable store
- A disposal holds
- a staff WC
- An accessible WC
- A medicines store shared between two wards
Each floor will have
- A female changing room
- A male changing room
- A staff restroom
- A visitor WC
- A disabled WC
- A disposal hold
- A cleaner’s room
- A matron’s office
See the new Royal floor plans, floor by floor:
A walk through your New Royal
A new Royal timelapse: from the ground up!
You can email the project team here or by calling 0151 706 5769